All-Potato Diet heals rare disease


Time:  Fri, 13 Aug 2021    

  From: (retired male) <°°°°°@°°°°°.com>   

  To:  "joannahigginbotham" <joannahigginbotham@runbox.com>   

  

When I was working for the FS, (Fire/Forest Service/Station?) I had a young Navajo friend who followed to potato diet for about a year. That's actually how I got to know him. He was hired by the Nav Nation as a single resource to check and monitor remote forest health plots across N AZ. His office was upstairs from mine. He wasn't there much as he had a lot of ground to cover checking all those plots. But, when he was in the building, I'd see him walking around the halls always eating potatoes. Typical quiet Navajo guy, very quiet and unobtrusive. Curiosity finally got the best of me and I out right asked him why he ate potatoes. Turns out he was an ex-marine and had contracted some rare jungle condition that messed with his metabolism. He'd found the potato diet and was getting good results with it, so he stuck with it. He certainly didn't have a weight issue. We became friends, really nice guy. Last time I saw him he was in the lead color guard for the Marines in our local parade. Still looked good.


(wife) had a stomach entrance blockage removed a few years back. The surgery damages the nerves leading into the stomach, so she can no longer regurgitate. The doctors told her she needs to eat small portions several times daily instead of 2-3 big meals. That has actually helped her cut some weight, and though she doesn't follow the Church fasts like I she still eats similar to me during those periods. So overall, she'd struck a good balance for now.